Sports Science/Analytics Intern
Utah Applied Health & Performance Science is seeking sports science/analytics interns for Fall 2022. This experience will focus on project work with a variety of sports within Utah Athletics. These projects may involve machine learning, statistics, data analytics, data visualization, and modeling. Students do not need to have extensive experience in these subjects, but should come with enthusiasm to work in athletics and the ability to work together to creatively solve problems. Students can expect to be challenged and expand their technical skillset and collaborative capabilities throughout the fall semester. Projects will be presented at the end of the fall semester.
Location: University of Utah Athletic Facilities
Anticipated Start Date: August 2022
Anticipated End Date: December 2022, with the opportunity to continue on in the program
Time Commitment: 10+ hours/week
Minimum Academic Requirements:
- University of Utah student in good academic standing pursing a degree in mathematics, physics, statistics, kinesiology, exercise science, information systems, engineering, or related field
- Completion of at least 30 credits by the time of internship start date
- Completion of one course in statistics, data science, computer science, other relevant course, or submission of a project that aligns with these experiences
- Curiosity and interest in sports
- Ability to creatively think about solutions to problems
- Basic knowledge of statistical processes
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team
- Detail-oriented, thorough
- Ability to deliver projects on time in high quality
- Experience in Microsoft Excel
- Experience in Microsoft Power BI or other visualization software preferred
- Experience working in different software languages such as R and Python preferred
- Experience working with athletes or coaches preferred
Send an email (Subject Line “Fall 2022 Sports Science Internship”) with a resume, cover letter, portfolio, and references to Anna Cruse: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: Fall 2022 applications are due 5/15/2022.
Compensation: This position is unpaid, but fulfillment of course credit may be available.
This opportunity is listed on the College of Science Internship Program website as a service to University of Utah students. Students should not assume that this opportunity, or other opportunities on this website, have been vetted and/or endorsed by the College of Science Internship Program or the University of Utah. This position may or may not align with current University of Utah COVID-19 conditions.