UofU Student Position
Data Governance Analyst-Student Intern
We seek highly motivated students to help support the University Support Services group within the University Information Technology department. This opportunity will focus on Data Management, Data Governance, and reporting. The position will mainly provide support for our new Data Governance initiative. The work will include integrations to third party business glossary, Tableau dashboard development, data modeling, and research using new data governance tools.
AboutUIT: University Information Technology ( UIT ), the central IT service provider for campus, reports to the Chief Information Officer and is responsible for many of the University of Utah’s most critical common IT resources including the campus network; the Campus Information Services ( CIS ) portal; UMail, telephone, and online collaboration services; high performance and research computing; information security; teaching and learning technologies; software licensing; and a host of other systems and services. For more information aboutUITvisit http://www.it.utah.edu.
About the University: Located in Salt Lake City, in the foothills of the Wasatch Mountains, the University of Utah is the flagship institution of the State of Utah’s system of higher education and a member of thePAC-12 Conference. Salt Lake City combines the amenities of a major metropolitan area of more than one million people with the friendliness and ease of living of a small, Western city. Seven major ski resorts are within an hour’s drive from campus, and opportunities to pursue activities from biking to hiking to fishing abound. Salt Lake is also home to the Utah Symphony and Opera, the Utah Ballet, several professional sports teams, and a wide range of other cultural and recreational activities. http://www.employment.utah.edu/staff/work.php
The incumbent will work on various technical activities such as data analysis and visualization, API integrations, and documentation. Work with data owners, data stewards, business users and the business intelligence team on the implementation of data processing mapping. Collaborate with technical and business users on communicating changes in data availability, visibility, and integrations with end users. Help maintain and add content to the bi.utah.edu/. Help identify the most impactful problems data governance problems, develop innovative solutions, and successfully launch to key stakeholders, ensuring end-user adoption and satisfaction.
Must be a current University of Utah Student.
Preference will be given to students with related technical coursework and/or professional experience.
• Knowledge of Object Oriented Programming and Java script
• Deeper understanding and working knowledge of API’s
• Project management, relational database analysis, and advanced relevant programming skills (i.e., R, Python, SQL , etc.)
• Experience with data visualization tools (i.e. Business Objects, Tableau, Qlik, OBIEE , etc.)
• Knowledge of information access and delivery methods, analytics, applications and tool portfolio, data sourcing and integration methods. Understanding of data warehouse, ETL , data cleansing, and architecture. Ability to work independently with light to moderate supervision in various areas of responsibility.
• Excellent problem-solving including research, error detection, root cause analysis, error correction, conceptual, analytical and decision-making skills