Mosquito Abatement District- Davis
Biologist Technician Intern
Application Deadline: March 16, 2022
Anticipated Start Date: May 9, 2022
Anticipated End Date: end-August 2022
Hours/Week: 40 hours a week
Work Schedule: Varies. As is the nature of fieldwork, do not expect a 9-5 Monday- Friday schedule. As an intern we expect you to be working 32-40 hours a week but we also understand your other commitments and will accommodate flexibility within reason.
Work Location: Davis County, Utah
Compensation from host organization: $14/hour
Company Website: https://www.davismosquito.org/
- Must have completed at least 30 credit hours by the internship start date
- Must be in good academic standing
- Must be a declared major in the College of Science or a recent graduate
Additional Requirements for This Position:
- Biology or related major
- Completion of at least one laboratory class before the start of the internship
The biologist intern will work with the lab manager to perform surveillance analysis, RNA extractions and real-time PCR on mosquito pools, looking for West Nile, St. Louis Encephalitis and Western Equine Encephalitis viruses. Under the direction of the lab manager, the biologist intern will assist in all lab operations, including but not limited to mosquito surveillance, real-time PCR of mosquito pools, record keeping, data analysis and a mosquito related research project of intern’s choice.
- Assist in the identification and cataloging of mosquito trap collections.
- Assist in managing the surveillance program as needed.
- Assist in preparing mosquito pools for real-time PCR processing.
- Assist in running real-time PCR.
- Help maintain accurate records.
- Have a valid Utah driver’s license.
- Be able to obtain a non-commercial pesticide applicators license from the Utah Department of Agriculture within 4 weeks of hire.
- Current knowledge of laboratory procedures.
- Good communication skills.
This internship is part of the Facilitated Internship Program.
Applicants are encouraged to apply for the Career Exploration Scholarship.
Contact the internship coordinator at email@example.com with any questions about the position, program, or scholarship.