Mosquito Abatement District- Davis
Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) Intern
Application Deadline: March 16, 2022
Anticipated Start Date: May 9, 2022
Anticipated End Date: end-August 2022
Hours/Week: 40 hours a week
Work Schedule: 6 - 4 Monday - Thursday. As an intern we expect you to be working 32-40 hours a week but we also understand your other commitments and will accommodate flexibility within reason.
Work Location: Davis County, Utah
Compensation from host organization: $14/hour
Company Website: https://www.davismosquito.org/
- Must have completed at least 30 credit hours by the internship start date
- Must be in good academic standing
- Must be a declared major in the College of Science or a recent graduate
Additional Requirements for This Position:
- Completion of at least two courses in computer science, analytics, statistics, or related coursework
Under general direction of the GIS Manager and Director, conducts unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) mosquito larval control applications. Collects and receives shape files and data from GPS equipment and field operations for UAS applications. Conduct a research project pertaining to UAS mosquito control application. Intern will gain an understanding and knowledge in mosquito abatement and vector control, with experience in handling various activities and assignments throughout the full range of services performed by a mosquito abatement district.
- Conducts unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) mosquito larval control applications. Including transporting, set up, creating maps, and unloading material for UAV applications for larval and adult mosquito control.
- Assist in preparing maps for aerial spray application and submit to system.
- Imports collected GPS field data into a GIS database. Helps maintains the GIS database to ensure data accuracy.
- Prepares weekly reports based on collected data to be used as a tool in mosquito abatement efforts.
- Conduct a research project on UAS mosquito control applications.
- Performs related duties as assigned including fieldwork to verify efforts.
- Experience in general UAV operation. An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job as list above.
- Excellent technical writing and database management skills. With a working knowledge of computer networking and systems administration.
- Ability to obtain a Non-Commercial Pesticide Applicators License, in public health from the Utah Department of Agriculture and Food, within 3 weeks of hire date.
- Proficiency in multiple computer applications but should specifically possess skills in database management systems.
- Ability to interpret data and spatial attributes of data.
- Working knowledge of cartography and map design best practices, preferred.
This internship is part of the Facilitated Internship Program.
Applicants are encouraged to apply for the Career Exploration Scholarship.
Contact the internship coordinator at email@example.com with any questions about the position, program, or scholarship.