Accessibility Menu
Press ctrl + / to access this menu.

Campus Impact


Transforming the Science Campus.

• Remodeled space: 40,729 square feet
• New space: 100,000 square feet
• Instruction and research space: 91%
• Faculty and staff offices : 9%
• Increase in undergraduate labs: 56%

Currently the departments of Physics and Astronomy and Atmospheric Sciences occupy space in five locations on campus: the South Physics Building; the James Fletcher Building; the Intermountain Network Scientific Computation Center; and the Center for Cell and Genome Science in the Crocker Science Center. The Department of Atmospheric Sciences is located in the Frederick Albert Sutton Building.

The South Physics Building and the Fletcher Building house the majority of the Physical Science programs. These buildings are inadequate for modern research and require ongoing and increased operational and maintenance costs, which will continue to escalate. The South Physics Building will likely be used for administrative offices, while portions of the Fletcher Building will likely be demolished.

The approved site is located south of the Crocker Science Center (completed in 2018) and includes a renovation of the 40,729 square-foot Stewart building and 100,000 square feet of new construction. Instruction and research space will consume 91% of the building, with the remaining 9% dedicated to faculty and staff offices.

Southwest view.

Overhead view.

Northwest view.


Cottam’s Gulch

One of the most tranquil spots at the University of Utah.

Read More

>> back <<