The College of Science Convocation ceremony is an opportunity for science graduates to be recognized individually, have their degrees conferred, and receive their diploma covers.
- College of Science Comvocation
Thursday, May 2, 2019
9:00 am - 10:30 am
Jon M. Huntsman Center
We are honored to welcome Dr. Monica Gandhi as our Class of 2019 Convocation speaker.
Monica Gandhi MD, MPH is Professor of Medicine and Associate Division Chief of the Division of HIV, Infectious Diseases, and Global Medicine at UCSF/ San Francisco General Hospital. She also serves as the medical director of the HIV Clinic at SFGH.
Dr. Gandhi – a graduate of the University of Utah - completed her M.D. at Harvard Medical School and then went to UCSF in 1996 for residency training in Internal Medicine. After her residency, Dr. Gandhi completed a fellowship in Infectious Diseases and a postdoctoral fellowship at the Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, both at UCSF. She also obtained a Masters in Public Health from Berkeley in 2001 with a focus on Epidemiology and Biostatistics.
The University of Utah's General Commencement is the campus-wide opening ceremony, kicking off many events across campus and serving as a collective celebration of the University community and the success and accomplishments of this year's graduating class. Commencement will be held on:
- Convocation is free to attend.
- No ticket or RSVP is required.
- We encourage graduates' family and friends to attend the ceremony. However, guests will not be able to sit with graduates.
- All guests should plan to be seated before 8:00 am and may take any seats except those reserved for graduates.
- Guest seating will be on a first-come, first-served basis. Most guests choose to sit in Sections A, D, E, F, G, H, or Z of the Huntsman Center. PhD graduates will be hooded on the South side of the floor, near sections A and Z.
- Note: Strollers are not allowed into the arena seating area, nor are they allowed in any of the wheelchair cutouts. Strollers may be stored at the ticket counter near Portal 23.
If you are unable to attend the ceremony in person, the Convocation will be streamed online:
- All graduates must have academic regalia in order to attend convocation.
- Order your academic regalia from March 28 – March 30 during the 2019 Grad Fair at the University of Utah Bookstore.
- Late orders for regalia will be accepted from April 30 - May 1.
- Assemble outside Jon M. Huntsman Center no later than 7:45 A.M. on Thursday, May 2, 2019. In case of rain, all graduate candidates will line up inside the west tunnel.
- Arrive in your cap and gown.
- Please form a line in the West Tunnel on 1815 East which is the road west of the Huntsman Center. Ushers will be present to guide you.
- You will be given a reader’s card and pencil; complete this reader’s card and keep it with you.
- During the ceremony, you will hand this card to a name reader seated on the arena floor. You will then receive your diploma cover as your name is announced.
- In order to prevent confusion, please follow all of the ushers' directions throughout the event.
- Please leave purses, bags, cameras, and personal items with your guests. You will not be returning to the same seat after walking across the floor for the presentation of graduates and awarding of degrees.
- The Recessional will follow in reverse order; however, the graduates and guests will remain seated until the official party has left the seating area.
- You will be seated on the arena floor.
- You will be seated on stage.
- You will be seated on stage.
- Carry your hood on your left arm prior to the ceremony.
- If you wish to be hooded by your faculty advisor, please make arrangements with them and notify Helen Francis, firstname.lastname@example.org, of their participation: your advisor must be seated on the arena floor and in full regalia in order to hood you.
Procession and Recession
- The solid lines on the image above show how each graduate will enter the Huntsman Center (the graduation procession).
- The dotted lines show how each graduate will get up from their seat, receive their diploma cover, and be hooded (PhD students only).
- All graduates will receive their diplomas by mail within 90 days of your graduation date. Be sure your mailing address is current with the Registrar’s Office.
- Island Photography has been authorized to photograph all graduates. You are under no obligation to purchase these photographs.
- Friends or family members may take photographs as long as they do not disrupt the ceremony.
- Parking will be available at the Jon M. Huntsman Center and the Rice-Eccles Stadium. Shuttles will run between the Stadium and the Huntsman Center.
- Parking designations and pay lots will not be enforced on May 2.
- In anticipation of heavy traffic, we recommend that you arrive early.
- For more information regarding parking, please visit the Parking and Transportation Page.
Students or Guests with Disabilities
- Graduates and guests with disabilities attending Convocation can request accommodations through Helen Francis, email@example.com. Please give us reasonable prior notice so that we may arrange your specific accommodations.
- Close captioning for the ceremony will be displayed on the arena screens for guests who are deaf or hard of hearing.
- Wheelchair cutouts are located in each section of the arena on Row 31, which is level with the conourse. They are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- For graduates in wheelchairs or with limited mobility, please meet a College of Science representative at the elevator located between Portal 6 and 7. From there, you will be escorted to the arena floor. Please try to arrive at the elevator by 8:00 am. During the ceremony you will be seated with students on the arena floor. A College of Science staff member will be available after the event to help escort you back up the elevator to the concourse.
- Accessible entrances and parking can be found on the U of U Campus Map by selecting the "Accessible" option from the Map Features drop-down menu.
For more information, contact Helen Francis, firstname.lastname@example.org.