The Beckman Scholars Program is a 15-month mentored research experience for exceptional undergraduate students in chemistry, biological sciences, or interdisciplinary combinations thereof.
This generous institutional award, provided by the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation to the University of Utah College of Science, spans three years (2020 – 2023), and will enable the funded support of six scholar–faculty mentor pairs. Each internally selected scholar will receive a $21,000 research stipend to facilitate 15-months of mentored research (nine academic calendar months, two three-month summers), in addition to $5,000 provided for the mentor-directed research.
- Please attend the Information Session. Professors Ming Hammond and Andrew Roberts will provide an overview of the University of Utah Beckman Scholars Program and detail the application process.
- March 4, 2020 - Information and Solicitation
Time: 2:00 - 2:30 pm
Location: Crocker Science Center, Room #206
2020 Information Session Slides
- May 1, 2020 - Application Deadline
>> Application Form << - Apply by May 1, 2020 at 6 p.m. MST.
- May 2020 - Selection
Committee to select final candidates (May 1, 2020)
Formal disclosure of two UoU Beckman Scholars (May 15, 2020)
- June 2020 - Scholars Begin
University of Utah Beckman Scholars initiate independent research projects
- Prospective scholars must apply with one of fifteen internally selected UoU Beckman Scholars Program mentors. For participating faculty research mentors, see below.
In addition, a prospective scholar must:
- Be a full-time student with a minimum 3.5 GPA and a declared science major;
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident;
- Be a freshman, sophomore, or junior;
- Commit to a research project that will last two summer semesters and the the entire academic year in between.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.