Convocation is an opportunity to celebrate your academic accomplishments with your peers, family, friends, and College of Science community. This page contains useful information for graduation day.
- All candidates for degrees will line up outside the Huntsman Event Center beginning at 7:30 a.m. Although convocation does not begin until 9:00 am, students will begin marching in at 8:10 am.
- A reader card will be given to you when you arrive at convocation. Printing legibly, fill out ALL sections of the card (front & back) and bring it with you to the reader table. These cards are to provide your information to the faculty announcing the student names. They also assist the professional photographer in the process of identifying student photos for those who wish to purchase pictures.
- Graduates will file into Huntsman Arena and be directed by the ushers to your seats.
- During the awarding of diploma cover, you will be directed to a reader table where you will hand the reader your card. As your name is read, walk to the Dean’s reception line, where your photograph will be taken.
- You will then return to the seating area to await the processional out of Huntsman.
- All graduates are required to wear the appropriate cap and gown during Convocation. Ribbons or cords may be attached to the robe to denote membership in an officially recognized academic organization or honor society when membership is by nomination and/or election.
- Regalia may be ordered through the Campus Store.
- Graduation photographs may be ordered through Island Photography. You are not obligated to purchase these photographs.
- Family and friends may take pictures as long as they do not disrupt the ceremony.
- Diplomas are mailed to graduates from the Office of the Registrar within three months of graduation.
- If your address, phone number, and/or email address change, update your information immediately in the Campus Information System (CIS). The Registrar will use the most recent address listed in CIS when mailing your diploma.
All graduates and their guests are invited to a reception at the Crocker Science Center, directly after graduation. It is recommended that cars remain parked, as there is very limited parking by the Crocker Science Center. Guests may take campus shuttles from the Huntsman Center to Crocker, or take TRAX west one stop to the Rice Eccles station. It is a short walk from the TRAX station to the Crocker Science Center. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need parking accommodations close to the Crocker Science Center.
The College of Science allows faculty to hood their Ph.D. candidates during the diploma presentation of the convocation ceremony. In order to assure that this process proceeds smoothly, please read these instructions carefully:
Step 1: After the Ph.D. candidate’s name has been read, s/he proceeds to the dean’s reception line to receive the diploma. The hood should be draped over the left arm. Please be sure that the hood is unbuttoned so that it will fit over the graduation cap.
Step 2: As the candidate approaches the dean, the faculty advisor or department chair (if the advisor is not present) will step forward and stand on the candidate’s left side. The dean will be on the candidate’s right side. The dean will give the diploma cover to the candidate, and the candidate should hand the hood to the dean.
Step 3: The dean and the faculty/chair will each take one side of the hood and lower the hood over the candidate’s head from the rear.
Step 4: The candidate shakes hands with the faculty/chair and the dean, and smiles for the photo.