Merged college of Science
The College of Science and the College of Mines and Earth Sciences both have long, impactful histories at the University of Utah. As separate colleges, strategic plans were developed and released in 2020 (CoS) and 2022 (CMES).
2022 College of Mines and Earth Sciences Priorities Refresh (available on CMES intranet)
For many years, discussions about merging the two colleges percolated, and after the successful partnership on the construction of the new Applied Science building, housing units from both colleges, a two-phase merger of the two colleges commenced on July 1, 2022.
As we join together as a merged college, now is the time to chart a new vision and strategic plan. The timeline below is meant to provide an overview of the merger process, and what the next steps will be for the merged college community.
Strategic plan 2024 Timeline
June 1, 2023
Peter Trapa, Dean of the College of Science, is appointed Acting Dean of the College of Mines and Earth Sciences. Strategic planning for the merged college begins, including discussions about faculty governance structures.
- Wednesday, 8/30: Merged College Town Hall
- Thursday, 9/7: All-faculty meeting to review process regarding governance structures and framing strategic planning process
- Survey distributed to merged college community for strategic planning feedback and priority-setting
- Focus groups will be held with college stakeholders, including students, faculty and staff, and individual feedback opportunities with the leadership team
- Charter feedback period
- 11/16: College Council meeting
- Framing strategic planning process and overview of spring semester
Peter Trapa, Ph.D.Dean, College of Science; Acting Dean, College of Mines and Earth Sciences
Contact Lindsey DeSpain 801-581-6958
1390 Presidents Circle
Crocker Science Center, Room 310