The Goldwater Foundation awards $7500 scholarships to outstanding undergraduate students in the spring of 2018 for the 2018-19 academic year. Awards are made on the basis of merit to students who have outstanding potential and intend to pursue research careers in mathematics, natural sciences, or engineering. The University of Utah may nominate up to four students each academic year. Applicants must be a current sophomore or junior pursing a bachelors degree, have a minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher, be a US citizen, US national, or permanent resident, and have a demonstrated interest in a research career in mathematics, natural sciences, or engineering.
Goldwater scholarships are awarded to students who have been nominated by their educational institution. The University of Utah internal deadline to apply is November 20, 2017. To be considered for nomination all materials including letters of recommendation must be submitted by the internal deadline.
Contact three research or academic faculty members to provide a letter of recommendation for you and provide each of them a signed “University Permission to Release” form attached. Be prepared to provide the names and email addresses of the recommenders when you submit a Goldwater Pre-Application.
To be considered for nomination complete a Student Profile and Goldwater Pre-Application. Goldwater Pre-Applications will be reviewed with in a week’s time to determine if you would make a good candidate. If you meet the eligibility screening for the award you will be given access to the Goldwater online application. Complete the Student Profile and Goldwater Pre-Application online at https://goldwater.scholarsapply.org
Once you have been granted access to the Goldwater application you must SUBMIT the online application form along with your essay by November 20, 2017. Essays should be typed and confined to 3 pages with a 12 point or larger Arial or Times New Roman font. Margins should be 1 inch on all sides. Include your name and institution name at the top of each page.
To be considered for nomination the following items by submitted by the internal deadline of November 20:
- Goldwater Online Application form: Submitted by candidate
- Backpack (document upload area in online application form) must contain:
- 1 Research Essay (uploaded by the candidate)
- 3 Letters of Recommendation (uploaded by Campus Representative)
- University of Utah Transcript (uploaded by Campus Representative)
- Official transcripts from other institutions attended, if applicable (candidate requests transcript to be sent to Campus Representative to be uploaded)
- 1 copy of a Permanent Resident Card (If the candidate is a Permanent Resident – uploaded by the candidate)
- 1 Letter of Intent to Become a U.S. Citizen (If the candidate is a Permanent Resident – uploaded by the candidate)
PLEASE NOTE: University of Utah deadline is November 20, 2017
(The January 2018 deadline as mentioned in the Goldwater Foundation announcement is the deadline for the University’s nominations to the Goldwater Foundation)