The Goldwater Foundation awards $7,500 scholarships to outstanding undergraduate students in the spring of 2021 for the 2021-22 academic year.
Awards are made on the basis of merit to students who have outstanding potential and intend to pursue research careers in mathematics, natural sciences, or engineering. The University of Utah may nominate up to four students each academic year. Applicants must be a current sophomore or junior pursuing a bachelor degree, have a minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher, and be a US citizen, US national, or permanent resident.
Goldwater scholarships are awarded to students who have been nominated by their educational institution. The University of Utah internal deadline to apply is November 23, 2020. To be considered for nomination all materials including letters of recommendation must be submitted by the internal deadline.
Goldwater Nomination Process
Candidates must complete pre-screening BEFORE they are allowed to apply.
- Complete Student Profile and Pre-Application at https://goldwater.scholarsapply.org.
- Contact three research or academic faculty members to provide a letter of recommendation.
- Provide each faculty member a signed FERPA_Release_for Goldwater (pdf).
- Provide the names and email addresses of the recommenders when you submit the Pre-Application.
- Goldwater Pre-Applications will be reviewed within 7 days. If you meet the eligibility screening for the award you will be given access to the Goldwater online application.
Goldwater Application Process
To be considered for scholarship nomination all materials, including letters of recommendation, must be submitted by the University deadline of November 23, 2020. The January 2021deadline as mentioned in the Goldwater Foundation announcement is the deadline for nominations to the Goldwater Foundation.
- Goldwater Online Application form: Submitted by candidate
- Backpack (document upload area in online application form) must contain:
- 1 Research Essay (uploaded by candidate)
- 3 Letters of Recommendation (uploaded by Campus Representative)
- University of Utah Transcript (uploaded by Campus Representative)
- Official transcripts from other institutions attended, if applicable (candidate requests transcript to be sent to Campus Representative to be uploaded)
- 1 Copy of a Permanent Resident Card (if the candidate is a Permanent Resident – uploaded by the candidate)
- 1 Letter of Intent to Become a U.S. Citizen (if the candidate is a Permanent Resident – uploaded by the candidate)
Essays should be single spaced and use 12-point Arial font, must not exceed 3 pages. Margins should be 1 inch on all sides. Include your name and institution name at the top of each page.