ACCESS provides aspiring women, from a wide variety of backgrounds, with a supportive path into STEM majors and careers through a scholarship award, first year learning experience, and an extensive network that fosters academic success throughout their undergraduate education.
ACCESS is a signature program of the University of Utah College of Science. Through partnerships with the College of Mines and Earth Sciences, the College of Engineering, and Medical Laboratory Sciences, ACCESS welcomes and supports women majoring in all STEM disciplines.
With a vision of greater inclusion, diversity, and accessibility across STEM fields, ACCESS works for young women today, and the workforce of tomorrow.
A Year With ACCESS
The ACCESS Scholarship covers summer tuition, on-campus summer housing (freshmen only), and a research stipend. Amount is announced annually, subject to program funding.
- $4500 Incoming freshmen
- $3500 Transfer students
- Science in a Changing World (SCI 3000)
Science and engineering are explored in this interdisciplinary STEM course that also integrates global policy and communication. SCI 3000 fulfills the undergraduate International Requirement (IR).
- Explore research opportunities and careers in STEM
- Establish a network of support and strategies for academic success at the U and beyond
Fall and Spring
Your first academic year at the U
- ACCESS exclusive research and academic success workshops
- Faculty and ACCESS alumnae play a key role in mentoring each new cohort of women
- Cutting-edge research under the guidance of a prominent scientist or engineer
- The ACCESS year culminates in a spring research symposium
The Women of ACCESS
The ACCESS alumnae network is nearly 800 strong. Our graduates have gone on to become professors, scientists, medical professionals, mathematicians, engineers, computer programmers, lawyers, and more.
Applying for the ACCESS Scholarship
High school seniors and transfer students, from all backgrounds, are strongly encouraged to apply.