science now: bringing world-class research to your Utah high school
SCIENCE NOW brings high school physics, chemistry, biology, and mathematics curriculum to life by connecting students to research scientists
Students get an insider’s look at research at the University of Utah College of Science and an opportunity to indulge their curiosity about the natural world, innovation, and the future of science by engaging with elite researchers and scholars.
SCIENCE NOW, established 2020, is a College of Science program that is delivered online, using asynchronous and synchronous tools.
Audience: We recommend SCIENCE NOW for students in grades 9-12 who are enrolled in physics, mathematics, biology, and/or chemistry (Honors, Advance Placement, and IB students preferred). Parents, faculty, administrators, and advisors are also invited. A SCIENCE NOW event is intended for groups of at least 20 students, up to 100.
Our scientists: 4 research scholars representing each department in the College of Science: 3 scientists (a biologist, chemist, and physicist or astronomer) and a mathematician. Scholars selected for your event are exceptional communicators and educators, highly relatable, and engaged in research that is newsworthy and accessible to a general audience.
HOW IT WORKS
SCIENCE NOW is delivered virtually, using event pages customized to the needs of your school. Click on the tabs below to learn more about the synchronous and asynchronous event tools used to connect high school classes to our research scientists.
On the SCIENCE NOW webpages, your students will be introduced to our researchers through research scholar profiles, which will include:
- Mainstream news features
- Video lab tours
- and more!
Assessment & Promotional Tools
Here are a few ideas for assessing your student’s engagement with our elite research scientists:
- Students/classes review profiles for a research scholar(s) in advance of the live meeting and develop thoughtful questions to post to the discussion board (website) and/or to pose during the synchronous Zoom Live meeting with the scientist.
- Pending teacher needs, the College of Science will provide 3-5 multiple choice questions, writing prompts, and/or extension activities for each research scholar. A Google Form will be sent out ahead of the event to collect interest in these tools.
(Note: SCIENCE NOW will create and provide additional assessment tools if needed)
- Better understand the nature of research in the sciences
- Recognize the interdisciplinary nature, of scientific discovery and innovation in STEM
- Make connections between the high school curriculum and contemporary research
- Get a sneak peek at career and academic opportunities available to students who major in science or math
Customizing a Science Now event for your high school
Upon scheduling a SCIENCE NOW event, you will be able to customize several elements, such as:
- Number of researchers
- Researchers' disciplines
- Single day or multiple day "visit"
Introducing Research in the College of Science
There are still many challenges to be solved.