LEROY E. COWLES BUILDING
- Completed: 1901
- Named for: Leroy E. Cowles, President 1941-46
- Architect: Richard K.A. Kletting
- Style: Second Renaissance Revival
- Materials: Brick and Sandstone
The Cowles building housed the original library of the University until 1913, when the collection was moved to the Park Building. The Liberal Arts Department then took the place of the library. In 1957 this building housed the Mathematics Department, and in 1976, it became the Communication Building.
Of the first three University of Utah buildings constructed, this one is the least altered, both inside and out. The entrance, on the west side, has two columns with unusual capitals, which support a portico in front of the double arched doorway. Like its companion, the James E. Talmage Building, the entrance is placed asymmetrically on the facade.