South Biology BUILDING
- Completed: 1967
- Architect: William F. Thomas
What is now called the South Biology building consolidated the several departments in what was then the Division of Biology that in the late 50s was spread over 16 different facilities. It was also the catalyst for a strong new Division emphasis in cellular and molecular microbiology, including the hiring of Mario Capecchi, the Nobel Laureate whose original lab was in the building.
The structure was first discussed as early as 1958 during the days of the University’s hosting of the controversial Institute of Environmental Biological Research in partnership with the U.S. Army’s nearby Dugway Proving Ground and the development of chemical, biological and radioactive weapons (CBR).
The building was delayed by the State Legislature’s refusal to appropriate the needed funds. It was only after substantial seed money from the National Institutes of Health, based on the Biology Division’s disease surveillance work at Dugway and other health-related duties being carried on that the state relented and ground was broken. (The Institute would “fade away” soon after.)
Today, South Biology houses mostly labs, including one of only two full anatomy (cadaver) labs on campus. Atop the building are greenhouses and in the basement, along with the anatomy lab, is a vivarium. Administration of what was re-named in 2018 the School of Biological Sciences is also housed in the building.