Beckman Scholars Application
Application deadline: May 1, 2020, at 6pm MST.
Required from Applicant
- Application: Click here for the application form and here to view the slides from the 2020 information session. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Research Interest and Eligibility Form: The form will ask for declared major (biology, biochemistry, or chemistry), U.S. citizen or permanent resident status, selected BSP faculty mentor from the list of approved mentors, research area, and career goal statement. Students should also have a minimum 3.5 GPA and be ready to commit to a research project that will last two summer semesters and the entire academic year in between. As such, applicants currently need to be a freshman, sophomore, or junior.
- In Addition: The applicant must send the following information in a single combined PDF using the filename [last name of application]_BSP2020 to email@example.com.
- Curriculum Vitae (2 pages maximum): The CV should include research and work experiences, awards, extracurricular activities.
- Unofficial Copy of Applicant’s Academic Transcript: Academic information must include full-time student status, minimum 3.5 GPA, coursework.
- Research Proposal: NSF fellowship format research proposal (2 pages).
- Short Essay: Students will be given “The Legacy of Arnold O. Beckman” (page 9 of Terms and Conditions) to read and asked to write a 250-word essay explaining which one of Dr. Beckman’s rules they would embody as a UoU Beckman Scholar.
Required from Mentor
- Letter(s) of Support: One letter is required from a person that can assess the student’s potential for independent research (research mentor); an additional letter is optional. Mentors should submit the letter(s) of support as a PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Scholar and Mentor Contracts: If awarded, the scholar commits to performing research during the full duration of the award, to attend the Beckman Symposium in each of the two summers, and to present at the Utah summer undergraduate research symposium in each of the two summers; the selected BSP faculty mentor will sign to verify acceptance of the responsibilities of training and tailoring their Scholar Mentorship Plan to the scholar, if accepted into the program.